Our Southwest Utah Broadband welcomes all Broads and Bros (and Broads in training) with an interest in actively working to conserve our wild places.
We are building our focus base and interests and look forward to your added wisdom and enthusiasm as we build our momentum. This “broad” and unique area of Southwest Utah needs your voice.
Range: Southwestern Utah including the Virgin and Santa Clara River zones, extending outward from the area around St. George to support the neighboring southern regions in AZ and NV, north toward the Wasatch, east toward Moab, and merging with the Four Corners Broadband.
Interests/focus areas: This vast region hosts a wealth of wild places. Many of these areas are currently protected, many need urgent support and all need supportive activism to ensure their wilderness attributes.
Within the SW and Central Utah regions, there are
- 17 designated State Parks and 20 with Wilderness status
- 5 zones designated as Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs)
- 2 National Conservation Areas (NCAs)
- 256,338 acres of Wilderness Areas
- 165 miles of National Wild and Scenic River segments on BLM and Zion National Park land
- 11 river segments totaling 19 miles of creeks in BLM wilderness areas that flow into Zion National Park
- 146 miles of river segments within Zion National Park are designated as Wild and Scenic
- To monitor the political process of wilderness protection and engage with local groups to support the Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) Resource Management Plan for the region’s Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs)
- To become involved in the protective process for the National Conservation Lands that implements the principles of BLM’s National Conservation Lands 15-Year Strategic Plan (2010-2025)
- To work to ensure protection of the Federally listed and proposed endangered (6), threatened (2) and candidate (3) species in Washington County, UT
- To monitor the land and collaborate with other Southwestern Utah conservation groups and agencies to procure and sustain wild characteristics in the region, such as:
– BLM (Bureau of Land Management)
– USFWS (Fish and Wildlife Service)
– NPS (National Park Service)
– USFS (National Forest Service)
– Citizens for Dixie’s Future – http://citizensfordixie.org
– Snow Canyon State Park