Forest protection, climate change, hikes with a purpose, advocacy, education of ourselves and the public.
- Joined Broads, from three different Broadbands in Oregon and Washington, to work with Cascade Forest Conservancy to set up wildlife cameras to monitor species and measure trees in proposed timber sale areas close to Mt. St. Helens National Monument.
- Solitude monitoring training and monitoring sessions in the Mark O. Hatfield Wilderness in the Columbia Gorge.
- Conducted road condition surveys in the Trapper Creek Wilderness with the Cascade Forest Conservancy, to support possible closures of roads.
- Annual Campout in September, 2017 at Beacon Rock State Park
- Solitude Monitoring Training with Gifford Pinchot Ranger District and solitude monitoring sessions in the Trapper Creek area to determine usage in the area.
- Community Outreach at Get Outdoors Day in Vancouver and at Camas Days; education of families about wilderness and the Great Old Broads
- Work party with Washington Trails Association to maintain a trail in Beacon Rock State Park
- Encouraged Broads to be trained as trail rovers at Steigerwald National Wildlife Refuge
- Co-sponsored with Oregon Wild, a presentation by George Wuerthner’s on fire and its importance to forests and wildlife
- Climate March in Vancouver, WA (2017) and in Portland (2018)
- Advocacy to keep the Elliot State Forest in Coos and Douglas Counties, Oregon in public ownership.
- Rally in Salem to stop the proposed Jordan Cove fracked gas plant and Pacific Connector pipeline from being approved. Rally and lobbying in Olympia,WA and Salem, OR in support of statewide efforts for Clean Energy legislation.
- Winter Book and Study Group; Read K.D. Moore’s book, Great Tide Rising and used Democracy School training videos to educate ourselves regarding the history and development of America’s democracy
- Family Educational Activity Booth at Great Outdoors Day at Ft. Vancouver National Park.
We are not just a hiking group, not just an advocacy group, we are not just a service group. We are all three and more—and it is important that we have fun no matter what we are doing. Please join us in any of our activities or contact us for more information.
- Assisted the forest service with solitude monitoring in the Trapper Creek Wilderness Area
- Participated in Lobby Day, Olympia, Wa
- Advocacy with Cascade Forest Conservancy opposing Ascot Mining exploratory drilling proposal in Mt. St.Helens area
- Movie night for Climate Change film “The 11th Hour”