Welcome to Cascade Volcanoes Broadband
Become a member of Great Old Broads for Wilderness and join our Broadband!
Co-Leader, Jane Heisler
Forest protection, climate change, advocacy, education of Members and the public.
We are not just a hiking, service, and advocacy group; we're all three and more! It's important that we have fun no matter what we are doing. Please join us in any of our activities or contact us for more information.
- Joined the Cascade Forest Conservancy to survey potential beaver habitat for suitability for beaver reintroduction.
- Conducted grant-funded solitude monitoring training and monitoring sessions with the Forest Service in the Trapper Creek Wilderness (Gifford Pinchot National Forest) to determine usage in the area.
- Partnered with Oregon Wild in exploring the Elliot State Forest in Oregon and advocating to keep it in public ownership.
- Started an Advocacy Subcommittee, (the “Broadactivists,”) to focus on issues of interest.
- Joined with Cascade Forest Conservancy opposing Ascot Mining exploratory drilling proposal in Mt. St. Helens area.
- Community Outreach at Get Outdoors Day in Vancouver and Birdfest in Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge (NWR); education of families about wilderness and the Great Old Broads.
- Provided trail stewardship at Ridgefield and Steigerwald NWRs.
- Assisted NWRs staff with science curriculum for public school elementary students and with Audubon local bird counts.
- Participated in a work party with Washington Trails Association to maintain a trail in Beacon Rock State Park.
- Co-sponsored with Oregon Wild, a presentation by George Wuerthner on fire and its importance to forests and wildlife.
- Participated in Climate March in Portland.
- Participated in Rally in Salem to stop the proposed Jordan Cove fracked gas plant and Pacific Connector pipeline from being approved.
- Rallied and lobbied in Olympia, WA and Salem, OR in support of statewide efforts for Clean Energy legislation.
- Lobbied Oregon Congressional delegation on the importance of maintaining the Endangered Species Act.
- Rallied in Olympia, WA to protect orcas and salmon by removing the Lower Snake River Dams.
- Continued education of members with winter Book Groups. In 2018 we are reading “The Prairie Keepers” by Marcy Houle and “Active Hope by Joana Macy and Chris Johnstone.
- Annual end-of-season Campout at Raab Campground in the Mt. Hood National Forest.
- Assisted in planning and participated in “Discover the Santiam” Regional Broadwalk to explore issues impacting the Willamette National Forest.
- Showed climate change film “The 11th Hour” at Movie Night.