Great Old Broads for Wilderness seeks a part-time person (on contract) to coordinate our major fundraiser of the year, the annual Wild for Wilderness on-line auction. The auction raises approximately $65,000 to support public lands protection and advocacy work for our national non-profit organization.
Drive the entire auction process for Great Old Broads for Wilderness Wild for Wilderness annual on-line auction: listing all donations on the auction site; communicating with donors; making necessary changes to the auction site; supporting auction users as needed; supporting efforts to motivate board members and volunteers to solicit donations; and other related activities.
The work totals approximately 300 – 350 hours of work/year. The busiest month is October (average 90 – 100 hours), with July, August, and November averaging around 35 hours/month. The 2014 auction runs November 3–16, and the coordinator needs to be available for this period.
- Update Google spreadsheet for tracking donations.
- Make all necessary updates to auction site and do necessary cleanup. This includes adding/changing auction sponsors, changing categories if needed, changing any required settings, changing winner notices and invoices, updating member information, etc. Cleanup includes deleting (and possibly archiving) old pictures, cleaning up donors, etc.
- Work with Board and staff to solicit auction sponsors.
- Work with Auction Anything to get new features implemented or to find more efficient ways to do things.
- Be available to help donors post their items when needed. Communicate with donor when there are potential problems detected or more information is needed.
- Get donor logo and item description and pictures from the web when needed.
- Take photos or coordinate with photo taker to get photos taken.
- Work with the Communications Coordinator to publicize the auction through posters, emails and other media outlets.
- Send verification notices to donors and track verifications. Follow up for items w/o verification if we do not have the item in the office.
- Create certificates for items as needed.
- Calculate shipping costs for items that will need to be shipped and post these with the item information on the auction site.
- Coordinate with other staff members to make sure that bidders are assisted in a timely manner with log-in or bidding issues.
- Create invoices, adding in the shipping charges, and send them via email.
- Be available to answer questions that arise during auction fulfillment.
- Prepare thank you letters for mailing to donors/sponsors (December – January)
- Very familiar with Word and Excel
- Comfortable browsing the web to find pictures and descriptions for listings
- Comfortable working with multiple windows open and cutting and pasting information between them
- Familiarity with photo editing software (Photoshop, Picasa, etc.). Nothing too complex is needed but you’ll need to crop; resize; combine multiple pictures; adjust color, brightness, contrast, etc. to improve picture quality – usually the quick fix is sufficient
- Familiarity with HTML (not required but helpful). You’ll only be using a few HTML tags and generally you can refer to existing listings to see examples. If you’re not familiar with HTML you should at least feel comfortable looking up tags online and learning how to use them
- Able to write clear, concise descriptions
- Comfortable communicating with donors and bidders mostly via email, but some phone contact is necessary
- Must have own computer and software with photo editing abilities and high-speed internet connection. Will work from own office primarily, but will also spend some time working in the Broads office and interacting with Broads staff
To apply, send resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Auction coordinator applicant” in the subject line.
Great Old Broads for Wilderness is a national non-profit organization that engages and ignites the activism of elders to preserve and protect wilderness and wild lands. Broads gives voice to the millions of older Americans who want to protect their public lands as Wilderness for this and future generations. We bring experience, commitment, and humor to the movement to protect the last wild places on Earth.
For more information, see greatoldbroads.org.