Great Old Broads for Wilderness is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and broader conservation community.
Our Broad commitment means:
- We are focused on the inclusive value that “broadness is a state of mind”;
- We are open to all perspectives while encouraging dialogue to resolve conflicts;
- We develop deep and authentic partnerships with diverse communities to further a broad set of conservation goals;
- We understand and respect the goals of communities with which we work;
- We identify and find ways to eliminate barriers that prevent full diversified public participation; and
- We seek common ground to work collaboratively for the long-term.
We define diversity broadly to include age, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, geographies, socio-economic status, and political affiliation.
By including diverse voices, we seek to engage the cooperation of as many constituencies as possible to strengthen support for ecosystem preservation and balance, conservation of public lands, and the environmental justice issues associated with these issues.
We seek the representative voices of Indigenous peoples whose present-day identity and ancestral history are embedded in the land, along with the full diversity of cultures and ethnicities that make up the country’s population. We pledge to work in collaboration with individuals and organizations to respect and honor diverse cultural perspectives of public lands.
Fostering diversity and inclusiveness is an ongoing process requiring continuous awareness and diligence. Diversity is not a project or task with an end point.
Broads identify, engage, invest in, and listen to partners and community leaders as we work towards a more representative and inclusive conservation movement, and make choices consistent with those investments.
When working in new communities, we work to gain full understanding of issues facing those communities; and we are mindful of those issues, our potential impacts, and the need to follow through on clear commitments.
We will integrate diversity and inclusiveness awareness throughout our programs and organizational structure. We work to create an environment in which all feel valued and respected, where learning and integrity are fostered, and laughter and fun are appreciated.