Rio Grande Valley Broadband • Entered by Linda Starr on January 1, 2021
Phone communication; Aldo Broadband Meeting; Species in Peril webinar; NM Water Crisis; Cycles of Harm: the Plant webinarebinar
September 14, 2020 – September 17, 2020
Participants and Hours
|Pre Planning hours||1.5|
|Post Admin hours|
Key Issue: Public Lands Health & Protection
Activity Type: Other Administration (reporting, emails, calls, planning)
Key Partners: Food & Water Watch; Aldo Broadband; UNM Biodiversity; UNM, Southwest Environmental Center, Interstate Streams Com., Middle Rio Grande Water Advocates; EarthJustice, Physicians for Social Responsibility;
Short Description of Activity
1. Phone call re NM Green Amendment question
2. Options for Retreat that RGVBB was invited to; Grazing committee report, Report by me on proposed dolomite mine in Florida Mountains; Border Wall thoughts; Gila River Festival they are a co-sponsor
3. Species in Peril was about ideas our US Senator Udall and US House Rep. Haaland need to take to Washington
4. Water Crisis: blend of science, regulations, advocacy and legislative expertise-NM seems paralyzed in dealing with the NM water crisis
5. Overview of Danskammer Plant, Hudson Valley of NY, health impacts from the gas plant; what people can do
1. Eleanor got the information she needed.
2. They have lots of ideas for this retreat – most likely along the Gila River at the Hot Springs Resort; I learned that ibex, introduced fr. North Africa might get the state involved, but no one had any experience in the Florida Mtn wilderness study areas or time to invest in this subject; Be active members with letter writing; they may organize a service project
3. They Senator and Representative will be taking constituent ideas to DC. Deb Haaland has seen polluted water from uranium mining and bad air and knows that constituents suffer. They both said that people need to follow Udall’s 30 x 30 Act lead.
4. Rep. Stansbury, who could not attend, would be taking what needs to be done to the legislature in January.
5. They shared ways that people can unite to stop Danskammer. Sounds like the need for a NY Green Amendment which is in process.