Idaho & Wyoming—Teton Valley WHALES Broadband
The Teton Valley: Eastern Idaho and Western Wyoming. The Jedediah Smith Wilderness Area is in our backyard. We hike in the Big Hole mountains, the Tetons, Grand Teton National Park, and the Gros Ventre Wilderness Area.
Janna Rankin & Liz McCane
- Hikes every Wednesday and bike rides on Mondays in the summer
- Skiing (both Nordic and Alpine) every Wednesday in the winter; snowshoeing on Thursdays
- Cooperative efforts with local non-profits to do riparian work on the Teton River (Friends of Teton River)
- Removal of barbed wire fencing to improve migration patterns (Teton Regional Land Trust)
- Trail maintenance work (Teton Valley Trails and Pathways)
- Work with local land-management agencies (mostly USFS) to help plan new trails and monitor existing trails. Many members have been trained to do solitude monitoring in our nearby wilderness area.
We undertake a couple of major projects each year:
- Members are active volunteers with local organizations, and are instrumental in the success of the Tin Cup Challenge, a valley-wide fundraiser for all non-profits in our area.
- We are carefully following the planning process for a significant expansion of our local ski area, Grand Targhee, which will impact the surrounding National Forest, Jedediah Smith Wilderness and the local community. Our large membership can be called upon for advocacy action on this, and other issues.
- Occasional lectures (such as Arlene Blum, leader of the Women’s Expedition to Annapurna).
- We plan group activities, such as a trip to Jackson to hear Cheryl Strayed, (author of Wild), wolf-watching in Yellowstone and rafting on the Green River.
- We formed a kazoo band to march in the 4th of July parade with the Great Old Broads banner.
- And, we have a nascent book club!
Every fall we have our “Epicurean Feast” potluck in Caribou-Targhee National Forest, and invite leaders of local conservation partner organizations to join us.
Our weekly email informs people of volunteer opportunities and upcoming deadlines for environmental comments. Contact us to get on our mailing list!